Friday, December 10, 2010

freude

Despite the fact that I woke up extremely late, fell flat on my a** on a patch of ice outside my door, and missed a tram causing me to be late for lunch with my lovely friend Marina, I couldn't help but feel incredibly joyful today. Maybe it was waking up to the sun shining high in the sky, or maybe it was the Christmas spirit in the air, maybe just feeling full of God's love... I don't know but I had a smile plastered to my face all day. This happens to me sometimes, just this feeling of pure joy out of absolutely nowhere, on completely mundane, random days where nothing special is going on, and I'm so thankful for it. Riding the bus down to the Karli, I had a perpetual grin on my lips, and this bubbly butterfly feeling in my belly, not out of nervousness but sheer happiness. On more than one occasion on that bus ride the thought "I love Germany" crossed my mind... and after that... "Maybe I never want to leave here."

Outside my window... the sun!

To be honest, the thought of living in Europe for the rest of my life is immensely appealing to me. It's something I'm pretty serious about, and the only things holding me back are my lack of a diploma (one more semester at home!) and the difficulty I might find in seeking employment here. I could definitely find work teaching English, so I'm not totally out of options, but that would pretty much negate my entire course of studies so far, which have focused on teaching visual arts.

Then of course, there's the fact that I would miss my family and friends so much. Obviously I've made many friends here in Leipzig and around Europe already, but it's not the same as the people back home, especially the ones I've spent my entire life with.

Anyway, there's time to figure things like that out. In the meantime, so far today was an exceptionally good day.

I met my Spanish friend Marina at Cafe Pushkin on the Karli, and ate a delicious apple pancake with cinnamon sugar for brunch, along with the required cup of black coffee. Man, if there's one thing I miss about home it's free coffee refills at restaurants. That does not exist here.

I had only been to Cafe Pushkin once before, and we sat outside so I didn't realize what a lovely cafe it is. Inside the walls are painted a warm, dull gold, the furniture is cozy and mismatched, everything has a comfortable, worn-in hominess and interesting art hangs on the walls. The food was delicious and relatively cheap. I definitely plan on returning and I'll be sure to take my guests from back home there when they come.




Marina's "sweet student" breakfast; single serve Nutella- cutest thing I've ever seen!

build-it-yourself breakfast

apple cinnamon pancake!

adorable menus

Pushkin decor

On the way home I was able to snap a bunch of shots, although by then the sun was blocked by the clouds so the beautiful glint of sun on snow from the earlier afternoon had turned to a dull gray.


An der Karli

Karl Leibkneckt Straße

Staubsauger

I was probably trespassing to get this photo...

If I ever buy myself a guitar, it will be that minty color.

Love that little bus parked between the trees!

at the bus stop

Near my neighborhood

Phone box

crow

Ampelmannchen

Graf
Tonight is the motor.de Christmas party that I'm attending with Elli and Tracy and possibly Marina. Should be loads of fun. The bottle of Reisling I bought today at Norma pretty much ensures that.

Tchüss!

No comments:

Post a Comment