Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Toronto Ontario from the air...
The flight to Berlin from London was as to be expected- short and sweet. Unfortunately I was sandwiched into a window seat by a hulking, sleeping American couple with no chance for escape, despite rows of completely empty seats begging me to lie across them.
When we arrive in Berlin, we passengers stream through the hallway and a cacophony of digital noise belts out of every hand and pocket, as Germans begin receiving the texts they must have missed since entering the Flugzeug. Dings and bells and whistles of all kinds whizz around my ears. Slowly we shuffle forward, as my stomach sinks anticipating the inevitable customs inspection. And for the second time in a row when arriving in Berlin, der Polizei say NICHTS to me. Not a single word. Just scan my P-Port, flip through the pages, stamp and send me off with a nod. A girl could get used to this.
Exiting the terminal puts me face to face with the second gorgeous sunset I’ve witnessed in two days, the sky a pale glowing blue with steam clouds sent up from some distant Fabrik, framed in luminous pink. I try to get a few shots but the light is hard to capture.

Steam
On the bus now, headed towards Peggy, hopefully Tracy, and possibly a nap. Finally back in Germany, and I’m feeling completely and utterly at home. I didn’t think it would feel this good! Any trace of melancholy I expected to feel at leaving my homeland melted away when I saw the TV Tower looming above the city from the plane.  As I lumber on to the bus with my suitcase trailing behind me, I ask the driver how much the fare costs. He promptly and jovially corrects my German and flashes a smile.




Deutschland, ich habe dich vermisst.

No comments:

Post a Comment