Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I did some writing on the train...

My eyes are barely open despite a 10 minute bike ride from Bellvue to get the blood flowing.  It’s 7:45 am when I walk into the McDonalds in the Berlin Hauptbahnhof, and Best Coast is playing on the speakers. My thoughts inevitably shift to Tracy, and our Best Coast listening party, which unfortunately lacked the Flinstones champagne we intended to buy for it. The McKasserin asks me if I’d like my coffee big or small. We’ve been speaking German but her English throws me off so I say “Large” with a weird fake-German accent and immediately feel embarrassed. My mind is always fairly sluggish when switching between languages, but even more so when I’m hung over.

 I drank more than my fair share last night, between the lovely Becks Lemon (which, by the way, are no comparison to Bud Light Lime, my American summer beer of choice,) the Berliner Pils at Postbahnhof and the Tülpen at the “authentic” Berlin bar in Moabit that Peggy brought me to.

Last night the Tallest Man on Earth played at Postbahnhof in Berlin, and I’d been looking forward to it since December when Julia bought our tickets. What really sucks is that Julia herself didn’t make it here, but Peggy is an excellent best friend stand-in. She indulged me in yelling out random stuff during song-breaks, made me delicious breakfast and dinners, and even endured me speaking stilted German to her.
The show itself was fantastic, my only complaint being that he didn’t play longer, though in fairness he did play for about an hour an a half, which isn’t too bad. And he played the Dreamer, King of Spain, Thrown Right at Me, The Gardner and You’re Going Back, which are my absolute favorites. We missed the opening act which was disappointing in itself but also because we got there late we missed out on getting a good spot up front and we were pretty far back. I attempted to take a photo but it turned out rubbish so I made a couple of (also rubbish) videos instead.

(I didn't make this video, but I did find it on youtube.)

Now I’m on the train back to Leipzig, surrounded by gorgeous green German countryside. I wish I could just stay in Berlin but alas, it’s not to be. I do tend to miss Leipzig a bit when I’m gone, and now that I have a Fahrrad (thank you Annika!), it’s going to be even more awesome living there. I am already attempting to mentally prepare myself for the inevitable depression that will come when I leave Europe in July. Sadly, it just gets awesomer and awesomer here, therefore making it even harder to imagine leaving. 

1 comment:

  1. hey! your german is awesome!
    i'm looking forward to your visit for fete de la musique!!!

    ReplyDelete