Monday, October 25, 2010

Magdeburger Wochenende


I've spent the past two weekends in Magdeburg with my "sister-from-another-mister," Annika. Magdeburg about a two hour regional train ride from Leipzig, but only an hour with the InterCity train. I bought a Bahn discount card, so I now get 25% off all my train tickets (win!)


Magdeburg is, as they say here "eine schönes Stadt" (a lovely city) and I'm really glad I got to spend as much time there as I did last summer. Now when I go there I feel so at home!

Aside from all the Germany's Next Top Model (with Heidi Klum!)-watching and cake-eating, Anni and I attended her friend Sabrina's Hochschule (sorta like college, I think?) graduation. It was awesome 'cause afterward there was champagne and brötchen (little sandwiches.)

The inimitable (and very pregnant) Frauke!

Meine Mädels und ich. 

                             

After the graduation ceremony we went out for ice cream. People, AMERICA NEEDS SPAGHETTI ICE! It's amazing. Basically, ice cream jammed through something like those Play-Doh toys that make the long thin noodles... placed on top of a blob of whipped cream and topped with amazing stuff. In this case: hazelnuts, chocolate and liqcour (sp?) sauces, and something delicious and crunchy.
Seriously, spaghetti ice is DIE HAMMER. (Die Hammer is a saying here that amounts to like... I dunno, "the bomb" or something. I love it.) 

On Sunday we had lunch at Opa and Oma's house. Opa made Ente... which means... duck. Yes, I ate duck. I'm not proud. But I also did not want to offend Opa. It wasn't terrible... it sort of tasted like a cross between a steak and a turkey, or something. Best of all, there was cake at the end of the tunnel. One of the best (and worst) parts of living in Germany... the proliferation of cake. Cake, cake everywhere. And it's always delicious. 


I'm looking forward to a fun and busy week... dinner with Tracy & Melinda tonight, and bike rides probable tomorrow due to class cancellation. Pumpkin carving Wednesday with Erin and a "house meeting" (so "Real World") with my roommates Thursday. LONDON (!!!) on Friday for Halloween celebrations. Got to figure out what to wear. I really want to just paint on a Mexican Day of the Dead face but I think I have to go as a flapper because the theme is "The Beautiful and the Damned," which I personally thought was a boring book. Oh well.

More again after London weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment