Friday, February 4, 2011

Buffalo/Niagara Re-cap

I never actually even mentioned the fact that I visited the US for 10 days back in mid-January, but it was certainly worth mentioning. Weird, the idea of "visiting" your actual home, but so it is.

On January 10th, I arrived in Toronto to the most heartwarming reception I could have imagined; almost as soon as I turned the corner from Customs into the arrivals gate, I saw three of my very best friends- Heather, Lena and Julia. I squealed (I think they did too) and started running, my very heavy carry on clanging against my legs and even heavier luggage rolling behind me until I abandoned both on the ramp down to the floor where they waited. We all hugged tightly, squeaking and shrieking and generally causing an embarrassing disturbance for the other airport customers to be disgusted/amused by. After the initial euphoria wore off, I returned for my bags where they lay, callously flung.

Next stop- sex shop. Yes, my first shopping experience back in North America was a Canadian erotic market, and it was a first for Lena and so worthy of at least mentioning here. For those curious, no purchases were made. Sorry for being boring.

Back in the states, many debaucherous nights out in Buffalo were had, and many warm, cozy days were spent by the fire at my Moms house.

Oh yeah, and my cousin got married.

All kidding aside, the entire reason for the return-to-Niagara-trip had been to attend my cousin Deana's wedding. Dee and I grew up together and have always been quite close, so it was unthinkable that I not attend her wedding. She looked gorgeous, as I expected she would, and everyone had a wonderful time at the reception. I'm so glad I got to be there.


My whole family was in attendance, many of whom I hadn't seen in quite a long time. There were also quite a few high school friends, so the experience also made for a nice impromptu high school reunion (which I've heard isn't really "a thing" here in Germany, at least not to the extent it is back home.)

Making vows, etc.
'DORBS.

Other notable Buffalo/Niagara USA occurrences included:

-Visiting my stylist Mindy Lynn for a long-overdue haircut, plus chats and Lagniappes with Heathmay, Erin and Chase.

-Downing a whole lot of beers at 2 for 1 Tuesday's with Julia, Abby, Erin and Reginaldo.

-Singing "Our House" by Madness with Julia at Tudor Lounge Friday night karaoke, where lots of notable people were in the audience, including the likes of Canadian Tommy Budden!
Impressive crowd... Abby, Erin, Jim, Predo-Lena.

Here, we are probably debating what song to BLOW EVERYONE AWAY with.
-Attending 2 of my little brother's swim meets.

He's fast.


-Obsessively petting and snuggling Lola

Tiny cranium

Uhghghghgh
-Convincing Reginald to eat fries with mayo (not Julia, though, she held fast to ketchup. I'm not worried, I know she'll break in Amsterdam.)

Reg expresses affinity for Pommes mit Majo
-Chill coffee dates with gorgeous friends.

Breaking out of "black."
Mysterious lady
Abe's Mom.

-Spending time with my dog-nephew, Aber-Squaber.

Most handsome and wonderful Abraham Lincoln Nebraska





-A loooong day of snowboarding at Kissing Bridge with my brother followed by vegetarian chili lovingly prepared by my awesome Mom.


How 'bout this guy, huh??? Whatta swell chap.




-Receiving wicked cool birthday/xmas presents from the bestie.
-Early birthday celebrations with awesome aunts/cousins/nuclear family.

German themed "OLD" cake
-2 Bluegrass nights at Hardware featuring celebrated drummer Robby Lynch (plus what I'm considering a marriage proposal from him.) Also, tons of awesome, wonderful, beautiful friends who kept me well boozed-up.

3x burritos from ETS and one from Mighty Taco. Plus good ol' fashioned 'merican Pizza.

-Timma Hoes.

Medium coffee, black.




I'm gonna go ahead and classify that as a highly successful "vacation."

No comments:

Post a Comment