Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Big B.

The Big B. Berlin. If I wasn't in love with it already, the past weekend really cemented my feelings for this city. I'm officially in love. And I think it probably has as much to do with the three amazingly lovely women that I spent time with there as it does the city itself.

Tracy and I used a website called mitfahrgelegenheit.de to find a ride to Berlin on Friday evening. We lucked out and found a ride for €9 with a really cool chick. I've heard Mitfahr can be a crapshoot, but so far in my experience (used it once last summer) it's pretty great; far cheaper and faster than trains.



Arriving in Berlin at around 9pm, we immediately set out to find the Wombar and my two friends Brian (a bartender there) and Kristy, whom I had previously met in London. We jumped on the U-Bahn and headed in to Mitte,  easily found Wombar, snagged a couple of biers and had a chat with Brian on his smoke-break. Minutes later we saw Kristy at a table with some student friends of hers, and a joyful reunion between the two of us ensued; our chance encounter in a London pub has led to a completely solid friendship the likes of which I couldn't be happier about.

After finishing up our beers and promising Kristy we'd see her later and enjoying a surprise appearance from my friend Maria, (the afore-mentioned Brian's lovely girlfriend,) Tracy and I headed off to meet our hostess for the weekend, Peggy. Peggy is a friend of my good friend Abby in the States, and I've been looking forward to meeting her ever since Abby told me about her one night at Hardware over the summer. I was right to be so keen because Peggy is an incredible lady!  That night Peggy, a few of her friends, Tracy and I rolled out for the (guest list only!) "Kill All Hipsters" dance party at the Roter Salon back in Mitte. Kristy met us  there and the lot of us danced the night (and much of the morning) away on the DJ platform.

The view from the DJ platform at the Kill All Hipsters party.
The next day got off to an expectedly slow start after the previous night's shenanigans, but we managed to explore Kreuzberg a tiny bit and find an amazing hamburger place with a variety of vegetarian options called Ketchup & Majo (the German "j" sounds like an English "y"... the letter itself is pronounced "yot," so read "Majo" as "Mayo.") I had the halloumi "burger" and a side of potato wedges, which were perfectly seasoned and fried to a crispy golden brown. Yum.

After an evening nap back at Peggy's, Tracy and I were off to hit the town again with Kristy.

Road beers, foxes, swans, and a Molskine. 
Road-beers in hand, we three started off from the Kottbusser Tor U-Bahn stop and after 20 minute's walk and a brief encounter with urban swans and a fox, wound up at Fuchsbau.

Tracy and Kristy, being adorable.

Your humble narrator.
Translated, Fuchsbau is "The Fox Burrow," which was ironic as we'd just seen a real live urban version of the animal. Fuchsbau is a really cool bar in Kreuzberg that reminded me of Enid's in Brooklyn, only smaller. However, true to the name, the percentage of foxy dudes was, thankfully, just as high.

Foxy
Foxes and foxettes at Fuchsbau, Kreuzberg
The night progressed with the three of us wandering the streets of Kreuzberg in search of a Motown dance party, slurring already-poor German at one another and generally being ridiculous in the best possible way. We found the Motown party in full swing at about 4am. Germans seriously know how to party!

The crowd at the Motown party
However, we were all knackered and no longer much for dancing, so another beer later we slunk out of the massive club and began the U-Bahn/S-Bahn journey back to Peggy's, finally falling (ganz erschöpft!) into bed around 6 am.

The next day Tracy and I stirred considerably early and made our way back to Kreuzberg to meet Kristy for brunch in an amazing little diner called San Remo.

Time for vittles.
Our waitress was sort of hard to figure out; she seemed nice but also a bit exasperated by us, which was curious. I asked her where she was from, because she was obviously American, and when she said "Seattle" I said that was rad and that I have a friend who lives there- to which she said something snarky like "Oh, yeah, I probably know him, I know everyone in that city." and walked away.   

Mmmmmm...
I am not clear on why she felt the urge to be rude but she's lucky the eggs benedict with hollandaise was beyond amazing or I'd have been annoyed and not recommended the place to you.

View of a giant graffiti piece off of a bridge in Kreuzberg.
After stuffing ourselves, we reluctantly said our goodbyes to Kristy and headed to the Mauerpark Flohmarkt (flea market) where we unexpectedly ran into Peggy, her friend Andy and another friend of theirs. We walked together to the flohmarkt but parted ways when Tracy and I entered the market grounds.

Fuckin City.

Brille

A chestnut roasting vehicle (?!!?!??!)

Seasonal gemüse
Unlike the flea market here in Leipzig that I complained about, this one was on a whole other level. Some seriously amazing wares were being offered, but unfortunately our brunch had run so late we were pressed for time to make the train. However, I thoroughly intend to make another attempt at this incredible spot.


All in all, an fabulous trip that not only expanded my ever-growing love of Berlin but also put me in touch with some truly amazing people. Hanging out with three women with such creative and motivated personalities and positive attitudes was nothing short of inspiring. I can't wait until the next trip to Berlin!

1 comment:

  1. yes, come back! next time i hope i'll have more time to hang out!

    ReplyDelete