Monday, November 15, 2010

2. Plagwitz

The destination on Sunday was Plagwitz; a neighborhood in the west of Leipzig. Leipzig has been referred to as "the Williamsburg [Brooklyn] of Germany," and if there's any truth to that statement, it resides in this neighborhood. 


Eine Brücke in Plagwitz.


There is a communal art/performance space there called 'der spinnerei,' located in an abandoned cotton mill/factory that I've been meaning to see since the second week I arrived. The place is massive, and there are artists of every kind creating and showing there; metal, ceramic, painters, whatever, in addition to a cinema and a theatre. In reality, there is probably lots more than that, but everything was closed when I went, as it was a Sunday. 





RUNWOLFRUNWOLFRUN

The only building I went into was the visitor's center. Inside there was a free library with thousands of art books and zines for anyone to peruse. There was also a small exhibit, which I wasn't too impressed by but whatever.

Love for Sale Library @ spinnerei

Love for Sale, close up



As I was leaving, I noticed an open door around the back, and ventured in. I climbed the stairs and walked into an open space, which was obviously used as a gallery but was completely empty. The light was breathtaking. I was literally gasping, the light was so beautiful, and the space was nothing short of amazing. 


yellow wall

tree shadows

reverse

FF

Something about this... I almost cried when I saw it. The lighting was just... unreal. 


arschgesichte

There were plenty of moments after I left the spinnerei when I was absolutely floored by the incredible beauty that surrounded me. I was trying to be "in the moment," and just enjoying what was happening around me, but mostly I had my eye up to the viewfinder of my camera.

Leer/Voll (empty/full)

Reflection of the factory smoke-stack.




Baumwollspinnerei (cotton mill)

Amazing sky

Golden windows

Turning the camera on myself. 

At this point I was just in the middle of some field, randomly, in Plagwitz. Everywhere I looked; the scenery, the sky, the shadows, the light... it was all awe-inspiringly beautiful. I'm so grateful for that day.

Canal

Sky

Unintelligible writing on a window.

The last shot before my camera's battery died.

No comments:

Post a Comment